Brain Capital Builder
Investing in Brain Capital is fundamental to meet modern societal challenges and to drive innovation and flourishing
Harris believes the world is increasingly relying on Brain Capital, where a premium is put on brain skills and brain health (e.g., individual’s cognitive, emotional, and social brain resources).
He leads the development of the Brain Capital field and seeks to place it at the center of economics, policy, finance, and technology. He achieves his aims by “silo smashing” among neuroscience, medicine, business, economics, technology, diplomacy, social sciences, and the arts.
In Harris's career, he has operated as a physician, scientist, entrepreneur, executive services provider, author, new economic and finance thinker, and neuroscience diplomat.
In the brain health technology field, Harris has co-led major commercial contracts, product development, dilutive and non-dilutive capital-raising efforts.
His key positions are:
- Lead, Brain Capital Alliance, a public-private-people partnership advancing brain capital activities in policy, economics and investing. This work has been profiled at the UNGA, COP27, WHO, OECD, New York Times, Newsweek, Neuron, Forbes, PwC, FT, STAT, the Financial Post, neo.life. Brookings Policy Paper Series, Lancet Neurology, Lancet Psychiatry
- Co-lead, OECD Neuroscience-inspired Policy Initiative
- Senior Fellow, Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute
- Fellow, Baker Institute for Public Policy, Rice University
- Board member: Texas Healthy Brain Initiative
- Advisor: Heka Fund, Brain Health Nexus, Texas Medical Center Innovation Institute, Euro-Mediterranean Economists Association
- Member: Champion's Cabinet of the Davos Alzheimer's Collaborative, Project Value Alzheimer’s Europe (PAVE), Mental Wealth Initiative
- Adjunct Professor: Global Brain Health Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, BrainLat, Deakin University and UTHealth Houston
- Alumnus: Forbes 30 Under 30 and the Fulbright Scholar program
- Awardee: EB1A Green Card, an honor typically reserved for Nobel / Pulitzer prize winners
- Author: 160+ papers with 1000s of coauthors. H Index of 25 after 10 years of fractional academia
- Lead editor of the book "Convergence Mental Health" (Oxford University Press)
Harris is a migraineur and recently wrote a short story titled "My migraines are a superpower" for the European Federation of Neurological Associations.
He is from the Great Barrier Reef region of Australia and is now based in the USA.
Harris enjoys golf, biking, swimming, meditation, podcasts and international relations.
The world is increasingly relying on Brain Capital, where a premium is put on brain skills and brain health (an individual’s social, emotional, and cognitive resources). The most impactful solutions to build Brain Capital at scale do not lie at the level of the individual or health services, but in public policy.
The Brain Capital Grand Strategy, published in 2021, articulates the need for a Brain Capital Dashboard, Brain Capital In-All-Policies, and a Brain Capital Investment Plan. The Organization of Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) also launched the Neuroscience-inspired Policy Initiative to promote and refine the concept of brain capital. Following the success of that initiative, the Brain Capital Alliance has now been formed as its multi-organizational extension.